Friday, June 24, 2011

The L Word


This is a lesbian melodrama that I've recently started watching, and although I'm on episode 12 I feel compelled to say how I feel about this show.

I've taken the role of a reviewer only of entertainment, only of 'how good it is' without any context. I'm not a social or political commentator, and don't believe that society should be 'steered' in one direction or another... and if it should then I certainly don't want that to be my job! No no, I just like a good story- and the L word is just that.

Bette, Alice, Tina, Dana and Kit are a group of lesbians whose close friendship is the foundation of their interesting personal and romantic lives. It has pretty women, great cars, and a lifestyle you can only see on tv. It's pretty much 'how I met your mother' mixed with 'sex and the city' with a side of showcase soft core... with a lesbian twist.

I mean this definitely in a good way, and find the drama compelling, the lifestyle interesting and that the stories bring you in. I would say where the show is lacking is character development, which is solid most of the time but is occasionally spotty. Also there is the occasional time where the audience is taken out of the show and thinks about the writer trying to add 'drama'.

Because of these two flaws, I give it 1/5 leaves.. they may become too distracting for those who are used to getting blown away by the super high/good story combo.

But for the story and depiction of a lifestyle that makes you feel you've just gotta live (maybe even just for the hour you're watching it) I give it 4/5 glasses... L word and a little buzz is good times!



No comments:

Post a Comment